With the New Year fast approaching, many people are beginning to think about their resolutions. However, more often than not, people make and then break these resolutions. In fact 44% of Americans break their New Year’s resolutions each year. Not to fret though, there are simple rules to help you meet your goals and stick with your resolutions. The 5 rules to sticking with your New Year’s resolutions throughout the year are:
1. Start out small and be realistic. Don’t set goals too big, which can overwhelm you. By setting small goals you set yourself up for success, instead of failure. For example, if trying to lose weight; skip dessert 5 nights of the week. Once you’ve completed your first goal, add another into the mix.
2. Write down your resolution. Include the positive aspects of your resolution and how it will benefit you. For example; being healthier, making more money or having more close friends. Be sure to keep it in a place that you see often. If you are constantly reminded of your resolution it’s far easier to stick with them.
3. Be very specific. Vague resolutions are proven to fail more often. Instead of “lose weight” try “eat smaller portions,” ” no snacks after 8 pm,” and “exercise 35 minutes per day.” These are much more concrete and easier to keep.
4. Set a specific time frame. Give yourself until a certain date to reach the resolution. Doing this will help you stay motivated. Once you’ve reached your resolution, set another goal for yourself. However, don’t give up if you don’t reach your goal by the time you’ve set. Keep trying and don’t give up. Sometimes there are setbacks and it’s important to realize it’s okay, just keep going.
5. Ask for help. If you’re struggling with your goal, ask someone for help. Join a club or organization that can help with your resolution, ask a friend to join to you, or hire a professional like a personal trainer to help guide you. Keeping resolutions is much easier when not doing them alone. Asking for help can sometimes be hard, but it will make your ambitions more enjoyable and likely easier to reach.
These are the basic 5 rules to sticking to your New Year’s resolutions. Use one or all of them to help you meet your aspirations. After-all, it is a new year and a time for change. Remember, it’s never too late to reach your goals.
Come and talk to our personal trainers to see how you can find the right balance between holiday cheer and staying fit for life. You’ll find them at Fit for Life Personal Fitness Training, 2126 Jackson-Keller Rd., San Antonio, Texas 78213. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest tips, tricks, and updates!